11 May 2007

Even More Pictures & a little update






































I finally have a decently fast connection (~DSL), so I'm taking this opportunity to upload some pictures - still surprised that most computers here don't have Cd burners though. Pictures of my new abode soon to come, although it still needs a $h!t-ton of work.

Captions
(note: HSTY = Home Stay Thank You)
* Another real old picture of the inside of my homestay family's house.
* An older picture that I'm just getting up of a cool cactus thing at Nakaseke College.
* A picture of just about everybody reading a magazine from America on mail-day. A recentish (i.e. less than a month old) is like gold here.
* Me and my homestay parents in our finest at the HSTY
* (from left to right) Megan, Natalie, Cecily, Olivia, and Andrew (trainer) cutting some traditional rug at the HSTY.
* Rick & Rishi with an awesome Uganda-American medley (it was like 10 minutes long) and one of the highlights of the HSTY
* (from left to right) Aggie (trainer), TJ, Amy, Kinsey, Megan, and Katherine doing a dance at the HSTY
* Me giving my speech in Luganda at the HSTY

Hey all,
Things are going pretty well. Yesterday was my first full day at my new home in Kayonza and it went well. My major success was being able to boil some water so I'm on my way to being able to live there. I don't quite have a bed yet, so I'm sleeping on a mattress on the floor (but I'm pretty used to that kind of thing). I spent nearly the whole day yesterday cleaning the walls of what will soon be my bedroom, they were amazingly filthy and I figured they should be cleaned before painted so the paint sticks better.

I was also very lucky to have a ride from Kampala and the Swearing In Ceremony to my site in my supervisor's truck. It would have been pretty much impossible to take all of my things by public transport (they gave us a lot of books and other bulky things; lantern, bucket; during training) and I have one of the lighter luggage loads among the PCV's.

Today I'm in Kampala mostly to buy a mountain bike - Anybody have any tips for maintainance? I'm thinking that I'll want to find a cheap and decent substitute for chain oil (i.e. cooking oil?) and I'm not sure about patch kits and things, maybe I can find some. I'm also going to buy a little electric stove because the electricity has been pretty decent lately and it would be a lot easier than using my kerosene stove. I also have a plan for getting rid of the massive amounts of bats in my roof - mothballs, who would've thought.

Well, this is kind of boring and I need to go get things done, so I'll leave it here. Peace out from the Peace Corps.

-Ryan

5 comments:

  1. Hurray! I am always excited for PC updates. Thanks for the photos - it's good to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jones! i had accidentally posted my comment before writing anything. anyhow, it's great to see that you're doing so well, sounds like you've stripped down things... i'd like to hear how you're feeling, what you feel has changed in you vs. what you feel has continued the same. i'm certain that you are out there inspiring others, i think that's something deep inside you and i'm very happy to read the updates, although we all deeply miss you, and there's never a moment that dave, arya and i are together without your name coming up in the conversation.
    abraços,
    jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey little brother,
    We sent you three packages have you received any of them? one was just a letter from me, one was photos and the UFC cd you asked for and one was a package with a few frisbee's. How often do you get to the post office? Will it be better if i just email you pics and stuff? Girls say they love and miss unckey ryan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryan-
    It is seriously so great to see the pictures are read your updates. I was just thinking about you the other day when I heard some girls talking about rock climbing, and it made me miss you. (and putting up with me on the rock wall while I slowly climbed the thing). :) take care.

    Bott

    ReplyDelete